[vip_students] Re: jaws question for Paul

  • From: "\(NCBI\) Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 11:24:21 +0100

Hi Eleanor,

In add/remove programs, if the entry is still there then repeat the removal
process a second time. Sometimes doing this windows will say that the program
has already been removed and would you like to remove the "Entry" contained
within the Add/Remove list of applications, just click on "yes" or "OK" and it
should remove it. Otherwise here is an excellent removal program which is
called "Revo uninstaller" and its free.

http://c464521.r21.cf0.rackcdn.com/revosetup.exe

Make sure the line above is not broken when you try to click on it.

From: "\(NCBI\) Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
Date: 15/08/2011 10:28 am

Hi Eleanor,

Usually after uninstalling something like that a reboot of the computer will
finish off clearing out any left over items.
You can go into the Run box and type in C:\program files and press enter key.
In here look for any folder mentioning HP scanning software, it might be called
something like Scansoft etc but I stress "Be careful" before you hit that
delete key.

From: "\(NCBI\) Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
Date: 15/08/2011 9:48 am

Hi Vincent,

When you uninstalled jaws previously, did you choose to uninstall jaws and all
its settings?. If you didn't do this and further more if you didn't go into the
"program files"  folder on your C drive and delete any remaining Freedom
Scientific folder and also go into the "ProgramData" folder which by default is
hidden on Windows 7 and again remove the "Freedom Scientific"
folder from here you really need to  repeat the uninstall and perform these
tasks as well. To locate the "programdata" folder, go into Run on your Windows
7 machine and type in the following;

C:\programdata
In here look for the Freedomscientific folder and delete. Restart the computer
and then if you have jaws 12 latest download which you should obtain first from
the FS site and place on a USB stick or something, install it and see what
happens.
There are issues around jaws 12 recently not seeing screens properly. I have
had a discussion with a guy in Freedom Scientific about this as when I opened
up Excel for example the screens wouldn't read and likewise had problems in
IE9. His solutions were vague to say the least and I ended up having to
trouble-shoot the issue myself.