[vip_students] Re: Equality & Braille

  • From: "Sharon Lyons" <sharon.lyons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 14:14:07 +0100

Hello,

You?ll be happy to know that visually-impaired children are taught Braille
at school (well, definitely in Kildare, South Dublin and Wicklow). This is
due to the wonderful work of dedicated visiting teachers. Also, our Early
Learning Centre (preschool for the visually-impaired children) in Clondalkin
has been running a Braille workshop for teaching the parents of the children
who attend. This was run by one of the visiting teachers.

Braille is still a very important form of access for visually-impaired
people of all ages. It should be encouraged to be used alongside Assistive
Technology. There will never be a replacement for sitting down and reading a
book, no matter how human sounding the voice software gets!

Sharon Lyons

Technology Trainer (Kildare, South Dublin and Wicklow)

NCBI Clondalkin

  _____