[vip_students] Avast: Setting up after the installation!

  • From: "Paul Traynor" <paul.traynor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <vip_students@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 13:18:38 +0100

Hi All, these articles about Avast are for those of us who have for whatever
reason, moved over to using the Avast anti virus software.
We are going to assume that we have already downloaded and installed the
Avast software on our PC's at this point.

We are going to work on  setting up special screens within Avast "after" we
have installed the software.
There are special settings that can be applied to the Avast program in order
to make it more user friendly when you wish to perhaps schedule a full scan
of the computer etc. However I have found Avast has always been very good at
doing its own thing and detecting anything it felt wasn't  healthy for the
PC.

Let's assume we have finished the install of the Avast software and we are
now sitting back on our desktop.

1. You can either arrow around or press the "letter A" to locate the Avast
icon.

2. Press the enter key and wait a few moments for Avast to load up.

3. If this is the first time you have loaded up Avast after the
installation, two things will happen;
*. Avast will begin a memory scan of your PC.
*. An edit box will pop up requesting a registration number from you.

If you have already got a registration number then have it copied already to
your clipboard from the email it came in and then you can simply paste it
into this edit box, following up with a press of the enter key. If all is
well it will come back saying you were successful and  then you hit another
ok button to finish off this part.

4. The memory test will probably still continue to run, depending on  the
amount of memory on your computer so if this is the case then don't worry
about it.
Note: you can if you wish any time you load up the Avast software from the
desktop just tab over to the "stop scan button" and press the spacebar on
it. Soon afterwards it will discontinue  and you will be in the typical
Avast screen which  is a very basic screen and you cannot arrow around in
here. In here for this time at least we will be using the "application key".

5. At this point one other screen may or may not appear. This screen will be
a simple web page document and if you go to the bottom of this page then up
arrow a few lines you will come to a checkbox which basically when checked
tells Avast not  to show this page again. Check it with the spacebar and
then pres keys "alt + f4" to close it off for good.

The above pints are the first part  of the Avast setting up process after
install. Now we will look at making the  basic Avast screen a little more
user friendly to work with.

1. After having completed the above steps, you should be positioned within
the Avast standard screen. Now press the "application key" to open up its
context menu.
In here we find all of its various settings for scanning, updating, and
other good stuff that it can do.
The below instructions I took from another list where a user on their
discusses how to modify the Avast screens.

1. Start Avast.
2. Wait for the memory test to be completed, You should now land on a dummy
check box.
3. Press the applications key to open a context menu, down arrow to settings
and press enter. The Programme Settings dialogue box appears, with the
categories tree gaining focus.
4. Tab until you hear, "enable skins for simple user interface check box
checked". Press space to uncheck it.
5. Tab to ok and press enter. You'll land back on the dummy check box.
6. Close and restart Avast. You should now be able to tab through the
controls in this programme.
Configuring JAWS to read lists in Avast:
1. Make sure that you're focused on the Avast Simple User Interface.
2. Press JAWS key 6 to open Configuration Manager.
3. Press enter to accept the New Configuration File dialogue box.
4. Press alt s to open the set options menu, then press a. The advanced
Options dialogue box appears.
5. Shift tab till you hear, "Rely on MSAA for List Views check box not
checked". Press space to check it.
6. Press enter to activate the ok button.
7. Either press control s to save your configuration file immediately, or
press alt F4, pressing enter to activate the yes button on the confirm
dialogue box.
By doing these steps, you'll resolve an issue on some machines whereby JAWS
stops speaking when focused on any of the lists in Avast.

In the next article about using Avast I will tell you how you may use it to
do a full scan of your PC should you wish to do so.

Good luck,

It has removed 4474 spam emails to date.