[vip_committees] Summer Proposal

  • From: Blaine Clark <thelight9@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Hank Bloomberg Chapter List <vip_committees@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:45:31 -0400

Hi all,

I spoke with Mr. Okonski of the DuBois Lions the other day and he proposed something for our Dining in the Dark. How about using their Sky Lodge for a catered meal? He said he would present the idea to the Lions group at their meeting and I'll have to check back and see what they've decided but he was certain they would have no problem with it. He knows a caterer that they use who might give us a good deal, but that caterer is out of town and won't be back until sometime in April. We could sell tickets directly by our membership and the Lions membership and we could check around with some other groups that might help sell tickets. We might be able to sell tickets through the Chamber of Commerce also. Could books of tickets be placed at some area businesses? If we go this route, we'll have to decide on either a menu or let the caterer put some things together for a mystery meal? We would have to allow the diners to state certain preferences and allergies, but a mystery meal would offer even more of a challenge and much more fun.

I was wondering if this would give us an opportunity to try some outdoor games? Imagine blindfolded wheelbarrow races with the rider not blindfolded and directing the driver. How about blindfolded three-legged races with guides at the finish line yelling out directions? We could use some good indoor and table game ideas too. Blindfolded tug-of-war, relay races and whatever. We could have children's games too such as feeling through sawdust for small prizes, and of course, pin the tail on the donkey and whatever else comes to mind for blindfolded games. We could easily make this an all day affair for all participants; show up when you can, leave when you have to. If you don't have a ticket to eat, you can still join in the fun!

Would this be workable for a public fun event, or would there be too much of a chance of serious injuries with some of the games I mentioned? What other ideas can you guys come up with for the Saturday meeting?

Does anyone have a bocce ball game or something similar? What all could we adapt for games?

We would need door prizes, game prizes and we could even hold a sale or an auction. You all could present some of your favorite accessible aids and we could even have speeches about issues by anyone who wanted to grab the soapbox.

Membership drive anyone?

- Users can subscribe to the list by sending email to vip_committees-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the list page at //www.freelists.org/list/vip_committees. You can also unsubscribe, turn on and off Vacation Hold and set your preference for a once-a-day digest or to receive each message as it is posted on the list page.

- Online, searchable archives of the list are available at //www.freelists.org/archive/vip_committees Each list's archive is automatically updated as new messages come in.

- There's a FAQ at //www.freelists.org/wiki/the_faq.