[vicsireland] Re: you're out if you're over 65

  • From: "Ed Harper" <goat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2007 02:14:26 +0100

Hi Mike,   I think ageism is one of the most stupid of prejudices.   It
seems to be the case that many people seem to have failed to notice they we
all get old.   But the next question is what is old?   That seems to vary
from organisation and law to law.   In reality chronological age is about
the roughest of guides ever invented for mental or physical function.   I
don't know for sure, but I would be very surprised if it wasn't the case
that the range of ability or disability in a given age group probabably
follows a random distribution curve around a mean point.   If regulations
based on who needs what, or who is worth giving what to, are based on this
mean nead then many people will not receive wht they need.   If the
disqualification for equipment assistance depends on the likely increase in
the functional utility to "society" of the individual, rather than the
increased function for the benefit of the individual, then frequently the
drop off in functional return for "society" is mainly brought about by
society's socially determined categorisation of a particular age group as
useless or nearly so.   If a group over a certainage is defined as useless
and therefore not worth assistance in getting adaptive technology, then if
the definition is correct surely that groupp becomes more eligible on the
grounds of impairment and the need for compensation to those individuals in
that group for their perceived disadvantage.   We are all equal citizens, or
should be, certainly after the age of majority and before the age of
senility.   Majority is fixed by law.   Why should senility be also
similarly fixed?   I would argue that even the age of majority is a very
crude and discriminatory device, but at the other end of life it is
unforgiveable.

Sory for the length of this note, but I seem to have been running into a lot
of ageism directed at both the old and the young recently.

All The Best

Ed