[vicsireland] Re: you're out if you're over 65

  • From: "Ed Harper" <goat@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 23:43:42 +0100

Hi all,

It sounds to me as if this is the typical idea that the "old" are different
like the "blind and disabled" "Women" "foreigners" etc and anyone else who
used to be defined as in some sense different and therefore assumed to be
inferior or less worth bothering about.   I presume it assumed that those
over 65 are not likely to be contributing to society and that only those who
contribute are entitled to have anything out of the pot as it were.   This
is obvious nonsense.   If we were talking about a society which was not
generating large amounts of wealth which is channeled in to a relatively few
pockets, many of which are not even on the clothing of residents of the
country,
  [Ed Harper] then perhaps some kind of rationing which cut out people with
what was perceived as less to give back might be vaguely excusable, but in a
society whose political class brags about the success of the "economy"
whilst taking personal advantages large and small from their positions and
presiding over an inadequate education and health system, this is an insult
which we as a group should seek to redress.   What happened to a respect for
experience and wisdom?   We will all fall into this blackhole if we live
long enough.   Why should we waste the talents of our older people?

  Ed -----Original Message-----