[vicsireland] Re: ifone 4s and Siri

  • From: "Emer Mulhall - (DECLG)" <Emer.Mulhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:04:15 +0000

Hi Vincent

My Lord I'm sorry, I haven't been able to visit the list for a bit.    When you
enter the apps store or itunes AND are searching for items, you can dictate
what you want to search for WITH SIRI and won't necessarily have to type it in.
It's also possible to edit SIRI entries, if they are not quite correct.

You can set reminders and calendar entries, but I've not done enough of these
to give a categorical opinion on them, and I don't think you can cancel these
settings (open to contradiction here).
You can even control many things in your music playlist with SIRI. You can ask
it to play songs, skip tracks,  or to stop playing the music altogether.

It is extremely useful in terms of makingphone calls or looking for contact
information.
You can ask SIRI to "call joe bloggs" and if this name is in your contacts
list, it will find it and phone the number.
If there are 2 numbers for the person, you will be asked "which number" then
you just speak in the number you want to call or choose it on screen.

You can also ask SIRI a certain amount of general knowledge questions and
mathematical calculations, equivalent times in other countries etc.
It even has been known to have a sense of humour!!

It is important to say however that you still can't talk your way around the
entire phone.  There are still areas i.e. scrolling through your apps etc. for
which you will need to use your fingers. SIRI is excellent, but as yet cannot
be said to be an alternative to navigating the screen with voice-over.

Hope this helps.

Emer
(another unashamed IPhone convert!

Emer Mulhall