[vicsireland] Re: configuring Word 2010 to work best with Jaws 13

  • From: tony scanlon <turrots@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 16:39:09 +0000

]http://apodder.org/blog/NVDA-quick-start.html

This is an old item so hope the iinfo is OK.
lThere are many alternatives to the eSpeak voice. Your PC may already have
installed voices from other applications as well as those built in to
Windows. A later step, will explain how to expand your repertoire of voice
choices. Experiment with the following cycle to find a suitable trial
voice:
Bring up the NVDA menu by INS+N.
Choose Preferences from the menu
Choose Synthesizer to show the options available on your PC. Click down in
the combo box for different synthesizers, i.e. software to render voices,
which are actually just data files. Try SAPI 5 if available for the most
natural voices. You may need to install SAPI5, available free from online
Microsoft.
Changing from eSpeak should bring up another voice. Click OK to experiment
with the voices for this synthesizer.
Use INS+N again, select Preferences, and choose Voices. The combo should
show the installed voices for the selected synthesizer. You may find names
like Microsoft Sam or Adult American or Grandma or NV Kate. The voice
should change after a few seconds loading its data.
Although not really pleasant, the MS voices like Mike and Mary in Windows
XP and comparable better voices in Vista should suffice once you become
attuned to their reading habits.
Continue until you find a voice you can understand well enough to
experiment further with the functionality of NVDA.
Do not let the harshness or unfamiliarity of the synthetic voice scare you
off. Blind people use this hours a day, as a necessity to utilize the power
of screen readers. Just like listening to a new human acquaintance with an
accent, you will soon become accustomed to their intonation, pace, and
quirks and listen past their voice to what they are telling you.
Now experiment with NVDA in a browser. Here are the main key strokes for
navigating a page: h for heading; k for link; f for form fields; n for
buttons; I for lists; i for list items; and TAB for next element; down and
up arrows for lines; INS+down for continuous reading; CNTL to stop reading.
Precede a letter by SHIFT to reverse direction. To enter data into a form
field, e.g. to search, you need to trigger what is called 'virtual buffer
pass through' by pressing SPACE on first entering an edit field.
Alternatively use INS+SPACE to toggle the pass-through. This is a pain
until you get used to the extra layer of screen reader control interacting
with forms on a web page.