[vicsireland] Re: audio description research

  • From: "Eamonn X. O'Connor" <EXOConnor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:16:05 +0100

Hi Paul,

You make a very good point  concerning documentaries.

I'm wondering, from the point of view of a programme maker, (where
production costs are tight,) is it cheaper to provide subtitles or
translation?

Just curious.

The Beeb did a very good 4 part series on Hitler a couple of years back.

Obviously it was in English, and interviews with Germans were translated.
However,  meetings were re-enacted, in German, with English subtitles.  not
only was this very frustrating, but inconsistent.

Regards,

Eamonn

             "Paul Dromey"
             <pdromey@xxxxxx>
             vicsireland-bounc         <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
             e@xxxxxxxxxxxxx                                            cc

                                                                   Subject
             22/06/2009 21:09          [vicsireland] Re: audio description
                                       research

             Please respond to
             vicsireland@freel
                 ists.org

Well Mark, I would have been more than happy to take part but I'm in Cork,
not Dublin or Galway.  In the name of goodness, why limit the survey to
geographic areas, which was my instant reaction to your first request?

Also, I agree with Tim, audio description can sometimes be brilliant when
we can find it, which is pretty well never, except on the Sky platform.

I find myself really annoyed when trying to follow a fascinating
documentary on some country or other, where people understandably speak in
the language of that country, probably with subtitles, but infuriatingly,
without audio description.

Paul