[vicsireland] Re: Vodafone home phone and broadband

  • From: "Gerard Ellis" <gerry.ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:36:25 +0100

Hi,

If you are looking to purchase a broadband package, I suggest that there are three major issues to consider.

1. Speed
This is the obvious criteria and is what most companies crow about in their adds

2. Price
Again, obvious enough

3. Contention
This is the one that can catch you out. Perlico used to offer a product that had a 48:1 contention, in other words you are sharing your broadband connect with up to 47 others. This means that at busy times you will notice a very considerable slow-down. BT's at the same time was 24:1. I don't know what they are now as I havn't looked to change for a while, but I suggest you keep it in mind.

Take Care,

Gerry Ellis

If you don't know where you're going,
How will you know when you get there?