[vicsireland] The Open Directory Project (ODP) another browseing experience

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 17:52:41 +0100

The Open Directory Project (also known as the ODP) is an archive of the Web
edited by humans, in subject categories, rather in the manner of a library
catalogue of subjects.  Its Web site is:  www.dmoz.org/     It is closely
related to Wikipedia, and has a sister site at     www.opensite.org/     and
a music version called "Open Music Project" at www.musicmoz.org >.

Now, while we have google and the like for horizontal Web searches:  we now
have dmoz (Open Directory Project, Web site as above) for 'vertical
searches'.  ODP consists of directories of general categories and within
them sub-directories which contain lists of sites with more specific
subjects.  For example, you would find a list of 'international
broadcasters' a list of 55, under Radio, which in turn is one of the
subdirectories of Arts.  (So far as I know, we are dealing with
English-language sites here.)  You can also suggest (at a link provided on
the site)) an URL for them to add to the project.  I think this a useful
site to know.  Once again the URL is:

www.dmoz.org/

Happy Browsing!