[vicsireland] Panasonic Viera smart TV with Voice guidance.

  • From: "Flor Lynch" <florlync@xxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:10:55 -0000

Thanks for this, Tony.

It comes to mind after reading the below, is the glass half full or half empty!

from Gary Robinson of the Access UK list.
Hi all,

yesterday I had a chance to have a lookat the new Panasonic Viera smart TV range which includes voice guidance and audio description as mentioned on this [Access UK]list and on Insight radio last month. On the plus side, you can choose male/female voice, set voice rate and volume. The voice is good, it sounded better than my Goodmans Smart talk box and more responsive.

IT speaks the channel, programme you are on and works within the programme guide, but sadly doesn't work within the various settings menus.

Ironically therefore like audio description on DVDs you probably won't be able to turn on the voice guidance without sighted help. Sadly therefore and very frustratingly given the sheer amount of functionality and connectivity these TVs have (Internet, wifi,DLNA,USB,SD etc) most of the functionality will be wasted so far as a visually impaired user is concerned.

There is a Viera remote control App for Apple devices, but i don't think this will help in providing access to the multiplicity of set up menus which controlmost of this very flexible TV's features.

The full price of the 32" model is around £499 though it will probably be available cheaper if you look around.

whilst Panasonic are probably to be commended on including voice guidance as standard across the range, it is nontheless very frustrating to be in effect short changed by the limitations of what they have provided.

I am going to try to speak to someone in panasonic technical department and see if there is any way of getting the set up screen information output to an external device which might give a way of getting more access to these otherwise very impressive TVs.
Gary

Sent: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 9:54 PM
Subject: [vicsireland] Re: (No From: Dónal Fitzpatrick <dfitzpat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Been doing a bit of looking at this. For anyone with Sky or UPC it will *not* read the EPG on those services as far as I know. I'm most definitely open to correction though and hope I'm wrong.

On 21 Mar 2012, at 21:25, "Joan Ann Brosnan" <kerrygirl18@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all
Here is a link to a video demonstrating the panasonic TV voice guidance:
what it is and how it works.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMuEHwcoR40&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Joan Ann.

Dónal Fitzpatrick