[vicsireland] Fw: New Talks release, comment

  • From: "tonysweeney" <tonysweeney1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vics" <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 18:32:24 -0000

Martin

This has more to do with Symbian and Nokia. Both makers have to get their
software approved by one
of the two companies. Then they also have to get approval to even create the
software to test with.
So their is much much more oversight to produce a package for the 3rd
edition symbian based phones.
Also you have to keep in mind all the other software vendors who are trying
to get their software
produced as well. That is why no one can give you a date or even a estamated
date. On the old 2nd
and 1st edition phones; Anyone could create a package and put it out on the
market. This is no
longer the case for the 3rd edition phones. Their is more security and
oversight that is being done.
After all; You want a secure phone that is harder for people to write
viruses for and trick you into
installing them don't you? To do that; It takes much longer for any vendor
to produce a package.

Overall; I think you will find the Symbian based phones have less viruses
then the window based
phones.

What a vendor use to be able to do in 2 weeks; May now take 6 months or more
do to all the other
approval and security they have to go through. Most of that time is probably
waiting to here back
from either Symbian or Nokia.

Then you have all the phones that have to be tested that have came on the
market within 6 months or
so. Right about 13 to 15 different phones. Each phone has it's own screen
display's and different
layouts along with different interfaces. Example: The E70 has a telephone
keypad on the outside when
closed and a keyboard when the keypad is flipped opened. Then the screen
display rotates 90 degrees
when the keyboard is open. On the N73 the screen only rotates when the
camera is being used. Then
you get into the E61/E62 that do not have a telephone keypad at all and only
have a keyboard below
the screen. Then you get into the N80/N91 that are slider phones. Then you
have the N71/N93 that are
flip phones only. And that is only some of the differences. So as you can
see their is a lot to test
for and a lot to code for.

Signed: Stephen Giggar
sgiggar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx