[vicsireland] Re: Audio books from South Dublin Libraries

  • From: "Gerry Ellis" <gerry.ellis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 18:52:43 -0000

Hi, Jim,

Are you saying that all public bodies should forthwith stop using MS WORD, MS
Excel and MS PowerPoint as well? How bout Outlook?

On that logic, should we insist that nobody uses Gnome as it only runs on Lynux?

I don't think so ...

I must say that I would rather have seen the library using the DAISY format,
but I do not think that there are any free DAISY readers that allow the kind of
copyright protection that might be required to allow books be shared digitally.
Also, the fact that DAISY is a proprietory product is causing some resistance
to its use by the Open Source community.

Now that I have raised these queries, I won't be around for a while to hear the
replies. I am going into hospital and won't get to read my emails for a few
days after tonight.

Take care,

Gerry Ellis
t/a Feel The BenefIT