[vicsireland] Re: Audio books from South Dublin Libraries

  • From: Jim Dunleavy <jim.dunleavy@xxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2007 17:02:08 +0000

Hi Stuart,

It is not the business of the South Dublin Library to "protect copyright".
Copyright law is encoded in legislation and statute. Trying to do it
through such ineffective measures as DRM is an abuse of the copyright
system.
If I borrow a book from a library, do the copyright police follow me
around to make sure I don't photocopy and distribute copies? no,
of course not.
If I borrow a cassette from the library, do the copyright police follow me
around to make sure I don't duplicate them? certainly not.
If I borrow a CD from the library, does the librarian make me swear
an oath not to rip it to mp3 and upload it to PirateBay? No!
Using this defective and discriminatory DRM scheme is like printing
books on paper that can only be read by special eye-glasses which can only be
purchased from a single optician.
The whole idea is rotten to the core.

--Jim