[vicsireland] Re: Audio Demo of Accessible Digital TV Receiver

  • From: "Martin O'Sullivan" <martin_osullivan@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vicsireland@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 14:28:13 +0100

I am going to take a look at this, I wonder does it work with sky? I
will bet not.  But on principle I am not going to pay that price for a
 box to watch TV.

I think that we have to stop buying into this  racket  Every few years
there is a new inaccessible product released , and we are expected as
vision impaired people to pay the price to be able to get the same use
out of the product as everyone else.

The providers of digital TV make massive profits each year, and we
should insist that we pay the same as every other user of their
service.  every box that is sold should just have an option to switch
on the accessibility features.

Also there are technical reasons for insisting that the providers of
digital TV provide an accessible solution to the problem which they
created.

If someone purchases one of these and  then contacts their provider,
with a problem they will be bounced from provider to manufacturer ,
both claiming that the cause of the problem is not their fault.

I also note that there are many other services on  digital TV other
than just TV., and if a 3rd party , provides the accessibility
solution it will be harder to get the service provider to produce
accessible content.

I think that vision impaired people should not purchase this box,
however we should come together and start to pressure the service
providers to  provide an accessible solution to the problem which they
have created.

On 6/10/08, Ciaran Ferry <Ciaran.Ferry@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Below is a link to an audio demonstration (mp3 file) of an accessible
> digital tv receiver developed by Portset in the UK. The unit supports speech
> output, resizable text, and audio description. A 160GB hard disk is included
> to record and store programmes.
>
> The box retails for £625 excluding VAT.
>
> To put this in context - a Sony 160GB DVD recorder which receives UK Digital
> TV is selling for £180 (basically the same thing but without the
> accessibility features) on amazon.
>
> The price of being able to use technology!!
>
> http://www.portset.co.uk/sounds/stbox.mp3
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Ciaran
>
> Ciaran Ferry
> Web & e-Services,
> ICT Group, ESB,
> 27 Lower Fitzwilliam St,
> Dublin 2, Ireland.
>
> Tel:   +353-1-70(27945)
> Email: Ciaran.Ferry@xxxxxx
> Web:   www.esb.ie
>
> * ** *** ** * ** *** ** * ** *** ** *
This email and any files transmitted
> with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
> or entity to whom they are addressed.

Tá an t-eolas sa ríomhphost seo agus
> in aon chomhad a ghabhann leis rúnda agus ceaptha le haghaidh úsáid an té nó
> an aonáin ar seoladh chuige iad agus na húsáide sin amháin.

Any views or
> opinions presented are solely those of the author, and do not necessarily
> represent those of ESB.

Is tuairimí nó dearcthaí an údair amháin aon
> tuairimí nó dearcthaí ann, agus ní gá gurb ionann iad agus tuairimí nó
> dearcthaí BSL.

> sender.
Má fuair tú an ríomhphost seo trí earráid, ar mhiste leat é sin a
> chur in iúl don seoltóir.

Although ESB scans e-mail and attachments for
> viruses, it does not guarantee that either are virus-free and accepts no
> liability for any damage sustained as a result of viruses.

Scanann BSL
> ríomhphost agus ceangaltáin le haghaidh víreas, ach ní ráthaíonn sé go
> bhfuil ceachtar díobh saor ó víreas agus ní ghlacann dliteanas ar bith as
> aon damáiste de dhroim víreas.

Company Registration Information:
> http://www.esb.ie/companies
Eolas Cláraithe an Chomhlachta:
> http://www.esb.ie/companies
* ** *** ** * ** *** ** * ** *** ** *

--
Martin O'Sullivan
Act your way into a feeling dont feel your way into Action (Gandhi)
Be the change you want to see in the world. (Gandhi)
Tel: +353878289243
fax: +3538758289243
web: http://martinri.freeshell.org
E-mail martin_osullivan@xxxxxxxxxx