[vibe] VIBE meet-up and workshop

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter.bosher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <aims@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ukvise@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <braille-music-chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2015 11:30:57 +0100

Hi All,

On Saturday 3 October, we're meeting up for lunch in a pub near Saint Pauls in London, , followed by an informal session where we'll talk about how VIBE can be useful for you, what some of us have been doing or planning, how you can help, and other questions or topics you tell us.

After our first meeting and the Visually Impaired Musicians' Lives conference in March, many people have shown real enthusiasm for the idea of VIBE. In particular, you have embraced the value of networking and sharing resources, ideas and information. However, the feedback from my last update showed that people have very different ideas about what They want. We now need to build on the momentum by deciding what we can do next.

Following the pilot, we're looking for further funding to do some of the more ambitious things people have asked for, such as providing help with transport and access issues around playing, recording and gigging, but meanwhile we can still move on with the networking and helping each other out, so some of the things we'll be discussing are:

* Should we create an actual association, or social enterprise, a bit like BCAB, (British Computer Association of the Blind) so that we have members and a steering group to help move things forward, and share the work to make the most of different people's strengths? If so, then this will be the starting point.

If we have found more funding by then , then we will be recruiting a project worker to coordinate work and continue what we started, so this will be a chance to help guide that work.

We are holding a workshop, soon after that meet-up, around confidence and how to improve promotion and networking skills, run by Steph Cutler, a well-respected coach in that field, so this will be a chance to talk about what will be the most useful content for that workshop.

Steve Burge, one of the people at the first meeting, is working on a project around live gigs for musicians with and without impairments. Steve has agreed to talk about that on 3 October.

Any other things you'd like to discuss, including practical and accessibility questions, will be very welcome, so please contact me to let me know whether you plan to attend the meet-up, and if you have any topics you'd like to include.

In conclusion, this will be a chance for you to shape VIBE and help it stay alive and develop into something genuinely useful. I've said before that it's no use whatever if it is just a talking shop, and we can't do this at all without your help and involvement, so your feedback and participation are crucial if you want to see it succeed.

Please Email your reply to me at peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In case you aren't familiar at all with VIBE, it's an initiative to support blind and visually impaired musicians and sound engineers find and keep work, and you can read more here:
http://www.vibeworks.net/

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best,

Peter