[vibe] Re: Stroke of Love Guitar Tracks

  • From: John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2020 23:26:35 +0100

Hi Dave and all

I'm also glad you got your dropbox working and I'm also considering paying for mor space as I don't want to be held back by storage and syncing problems.

I think you've recorded some lovely guitar parts David, but in the spirit of production they do rather tend to "push" the beat in parts of the song, EG. you play a little too fast and then have to rain yourself in. This means that your parts don't "lock" in with the drums at that point and it might be worth re-recording the acoustic guitar parts and trying to really "sit" on the beat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not the best drummer in the world, but if we were recording this together I would be saying exactly the same things while avoiding your viciously swinging guitar.

I would also be interested in how you recorded the various instruments and would like to make a comment about stereo guitars.

In my experience it's always better to put in the work to record two guitar parts which can then be panned etc. two guitar parts, however similar, will never be the same which gives more complexity and character to the sound, whereas a guitar that's doubled or slightly delayed to cause a stereo effect will never have the character of two actual parts.

Hope this doesn't cause any offense, but when recording I try to listen to myself critically and I assume the rest of us do, or want to do the same.

Talk soon, John

At 21:58 26/07/2020, you wrote:

Hi, Steve,

Sorry, panic over. I've sorted out my Dropbox issue and it all seems to be working with only an iPhone Dropbox reinstall. Your tracks always sound great, so I'm really looking forward to the new mix. Hope it's not anything about my tracks that's messing things up. Let me know if you'd like me to redo them.

Cheers,

Dave