[vibe] Re: Shirley Bassey and the RNIB Eye Clinic Liaison Officer campaign

  • From: Nicki Kelly <nicholakelly85@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 23:13:58 +0100

Hi,

What she said is irrelevant. Music is about feeling, not seeing.

Being blind didn't harm Stevie Wonder's career and music ability and it will
not affect ours either.

Keep on, keeping on.

Nicki x

Sent from my iPhone.

On 22 Oct 2015, at 23:10, John Ramm <john@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Clive and all

My opinion is that Shirley's comment won't damage anything but it might get
people asking questions which is fine I think. Either way, her comment is now
out there so we just have to keep on keeping on proving that we love
entertaining whether we can see our audience or not. :)

Talk soon, John

At 22:33 22/10/2015, you wrote:
Hello all,

Some of you might be interested in listening to the first ten minutes of last
Tuesday’s In Touch, if you haven’t already done so.

The RNIB’s campaign to save Eye Clinic Liaison Officers (ECLOs) has stirred
up a hornet’s nest, following Shirley Bassey’s clip, saying that ‘being told
that she was going to lose her sight would be like being told she was going
to die). However, I’m writing to open the debate about one of her other
comments in the clip, which I fear could damage people’s perceptions of
blindness and entertaining. She says that if she lost her sight, she wouldn’t
be able to sing anymore, because she has to see the faces of her audience in
order to perform. Does this comment, made publicly by such a well-known
sighted person, who has had a successful career in music spanning six decades
risk undermining the aims and objectives of the vibe project? Discuss.

Best,
Clive

John Ramm

Drummer for 40days - @40daysofficial - www.facebook.com/40dayswrexham -
www.soundcloud.com/40daysofficial
Chair, RNIB Cymru - www.rnib.org.uk/wales-cymru-1
Trustee, RNIB Charity - www.rnib.org.uk/
Trustee/Director, Habinteg Housing Association - www.habinteg.org.uk
Board Mentee - HDN Board Mentoring Programme -
www.housingdiversitynetwork.co.uk/mentoring/board - mentoring