[vibe] Intro and some advice!

  • From: "Steve Hyde-Dryden" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "csdryden@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: <vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2015 17:38:26 +0100

Hi All,

I've just subscribed and am hoping that I'll get some hints and tricks from
the list. Firstly a brief intro:

I've been playing guitar now for over 30 years. I started with classical
and moved onto rock quite quickly after being drawn in by the dark forces of
metallica lead breaks etc! I now play predominantly acoustic guitar and
play in two bands. One being a church music group and the other, well,
that's not quite decided yet! It's more of a remnant of our last band. I
currently have two guitars, one is a Gibson Explorer and the other one is my
Faith Eclipse Saturn acoustic. Amp wise, I have a Roland AC90 acoustic.

Now for the advice bit. I don't want to get a big amp rig yet but I was
thinking of a smallish electric amp for a small venue I play sometimes. I
was thinking of the Black Star ID40's as its small, got a little bit of
power and is very versatile. It's also got the right amount of overdrive if
and when I need it. Some of the gigs I've done are basically my playing
along with a backing track. Has anyone got any actual practical experience
of using one of these?

What are you guys using for recording? I sort of like the idea of using
sonar but constantly come up with the problem of latency. Now that I've got
a new I7 PC, I'm going to see if it works any better on that. I do also
like a proper hardware recorder and wondered what units you guys might be
using? I've not got any vision to see an LCD so it needs to be fairly
straight forward menu's or actual buttons.

Sorry for rabbiting on. That's it for now

Look forward to hearing from ya!

Steve HD