[vibe] Drake Music Test It

  • From: Peter Bosher <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 15:57:55 +0100

Hi All,

This event on Saturday 30 May and Sunday 31 May looks really interesting, so I'm passing it on for information, but at the same time it's a possible opportunity to meet up informally. I plan to be there for at least the first few hours, and if you decide to go, then we could find a bit of time to talk about VIBE, including plans for that possible event in late June.

Please let us know on or off list if you plan to come. The info follows.

Best,

Peter

Drake Music Test It
Free event, no need to book, Just drop in.
11am – 6pm, 30 & 31 May 2015, Clore Ball Room, Royal Festival Hall

Drake Music are hosting a series of innovative events to make and test new technology for disabled musicians at the Web We Want Festival at the Southbank Centre in London this May.

Drake Music are leaders in music, disability and technology. They pro-actively explore ways in which new technologies can make writing and playing music more accessible.

Drake Music are working with Furtherfield to run Test It! - a drop-in event for disabled artists, musicians, beginners and anyone interested in seeing demonstrations of and trying out new accessible music making technologies; including Imogen Heap’s cutting edge Mi.Mu Gloves, John Kelly’s accessible guitar, Diago Moroda’s Mini-beam, new and established iPad accessible apps and the latest version of Soundbeam.

This two day event is a unique opportunity for disabled people to try out new equipment, jam together, produce music and get advice from disabled and non-disabled artists, musicians and experts in the field of accessible music technology.

For 20 years Drake Music have pioneered and developed their knowledge, experience, and skills as innovators, educators, curators and advocates in accessible music making. They believe everyone has the right to express themselves creatively through music. Their aim is to increase participation in music-making at all levels and to break down disabling barriers using technology. Drake Music's work aims to develop a national and international movement where disabled and non-disabled musicians work together as equals.

Drake Music Test It! will be held at 11am – 6pm on Saturday 30 and Sunday 31 May 2015 at The Clore Ballroom, Royal Festival Hall at the Southbank Centre. This is a free event, there is no need to book, Just drop in. This is your chance to have a go with new technologies that are making writing and playing music more straightforward for disabled musicians, beginners and non-musicians who want to access music-making. There will be disabled and non-disabled artists/ musicians to facilitate your involvement for both days, including jamming with other players and time for some instruction, support and advice. It will be fun and you do not need any previous experience of using music-making technologies to get stuck in.

Drake Music Test It! is part of the Web We Want festival at the Southbank centre, running from the 28 - 31 May 2015 which also includes a Hackathon in the JP Morgan White Room at Royal Festival Hall, 10am - 10pm Saturday 30 May 2015 run by Drake Music, Music Hackspace and Furtherfield.

The Hackathon is an event where technologists and coders will be given the opportunity to develop new ideas, projects and prototypes for disabled music technologies, to make writing and playing music more accessible. The five strongest ideas by the end of the day will be shortlisted and presented on Sunday 31 May as part of the Web We Want Day Pass talks programme. If you’d like to take part in the Hackathon as a technologist or coder please book a free ticket from the Sothbank Centre Ticket Office. If you have any questions about being part of the Hackthon event please email
<mailto:wwwhackathon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wwwhackathon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Drake Music Test It: Saturday
<http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-test-it-1213>http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-test-it-1213

Drake Music Test It: Sunday
<http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-test-it-1214>http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-test-it-1214

Drake Music Hackathon: Saturday and Sunday
<http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-hackathon-1226>http://webwewant.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/drake-music-hackathon-1226

--

*******

Peter Bosher,