[vibe] Re: Composing - getting started

  • From: AKH <tvz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vibe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2021 09:12:08 +0100

Hi Peter

I am so grateful for your suggestions, it can take many hours trying out applications, just to find that they do not work well with a screen reader, so your experience is very valuable, thanks. Is there a tutorial, video or blog, that might help me build up a score from scratch? So that I can hear how it sounds as I add in new parts for say a piano and a marimba, for example. I've noticed people who sit at their laptop and build music pieces from within an application, they don't have MIDI instruments connected - the audio quality is poor and you would not want to record it, but the sounds give a really good bit of feedback of how it could be when played on real instruments. It's like a rough draft. Perhaps I'll discover this when I try out the two software packages you mention.

Very best regards

Andrew

On 26/04/2021 15:49, Peter Bosher wrote:

Hi Andrew,

Composition software tools covers a huge range of applications, so it depends on whether you're talking about creating scores, in print or Braille, or do you include mixing and recording electronic and acoustic elements?

If you're wanting to create print scores, then the two leading tools, which both work to some extent with NVDA under Windows 10, are Sibelius and MuseScore.  Sibelius almost certainly works better with NVDA, and produces very good scores, but is quite expensive.  More here:

http://www.avid.com/sibelius/

MuseScore is very affordable with free options, more here:

http://www.musescore.org/

If you need to make Braille scores, then look at GoodFeel, from Dancing Dots:

http://www.dancingdots.com/

I hope that helps.

Best,

Peter

On 26/04/2021 09:55, AKH wrote:
I'm wondering which composition software tools are best to use with NVDA on Windows 10, please?

Andrew

.