[vi-tech-testers] Re: project update: smaller images, and USB booting

  • From: M F Mason <mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 16:01:33 +0100

Hello Mo,

I hope you are feeling much better now.
I downloaded USBwriter 2.0
and gave it a try.
It certainly seems easy to use and accessible.
However, having apparently successfully written an image to a USB flash drive,
I looked on the flash drive to see that the image was not complete.
There only appeared to be two folders on the USB drive
efi and loader.
the size of the two folders was only about 25 megabytes.
The utility seemed so simple to use I cannot imagine what I could have done wrong.
I simply browsed to the source ISO image,
selected the target drive
and pressed enter on the write button.

Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Mike.

 At 12:44 14/06/2014, you wrote:
Hello Everyone.

Things have been rather quiet to say the least over the last couple of weeks. i've been busy with local projects, and i was also unwell for part of that time as well. however, i'm taking up where we left off a few weeks ago with USB booting. there's a nice tool i found that allows you to write the arch iso image to a USB drive. i haven't tested this my self yet by actually writing an image, but i can confirm that its fully accessible. if someone could give this a try and report that, that'd be much appreciated. the link is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/usbwriter/files/USBWriter-1.2.zip/download

now on to where the project is at. i'm currently trying to figure out how to generate my own images. this in short will allow me to remove the annoying sound card script that some of you reported as buggy, and should allow me to reduce the images in size. how long this will take i'm not sure, but i'm hoping that i'll have the hang of it soon. i'll post instructions to list later today or tomorrow if anyone would like to help me figure this one out. if we can generate custom images, this will be excellent as a lean mean backup solution would probably be welcomed by many!

Mo.