[vi-tech-testers] Re: has anyone tested the new image?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 22:03:13 +0100

hi mike.

It sounds like you were indeed too keen, just like me in fact! but yes, before writing the arch image again, its always advisable to reclaim your pen by formatting it with the HP tool, then rewriting the arch image. although the USB writer tool should delete and recreate the partitions, i don't think it does if you have an existing linux image on the pen. a bug which they should probably work out. its very strange that diskpart still isn't seeing your drive. i've just tried a pen drive and its playing up for me as well, so i don't think i'll mention it at all and instead just tell people to use the HP tool.

as for the password prompt, it sounds like the log in script for whatever reason hasn't logged you in. the default username is root and there is no password. could you boot your pen again and see what happens? after pressing enter to boot, listen for the welcome message. then a few seconds after the welcome message has played, you should hear root at arch iso. it shouldn't bring up the log in prompt. let us know what happens if you can/decide to try it.

many thanks again,

Mo.

On 17/07/2014 20:57, M F Mason wrote:
Hello Mo,

The bottom line is that
I am a little confused but very relieved.

I downloaded and ran the HP format tool
which formatted my USB pen giving me back its space.

I then used USBWriter to write the arch image to the pen.

I then booted from the USB pen,
(I think the trick is to wait a while before actually selecting the USB pen from which to boot).
I heard a beep and pressed enter.
I then hear the success message.
and, I think,some kind of prompt.
So as far as the above is concerned, the World is round again.
I am not quite sure what I did next but there appeared to be some logon prompt requiring a password.
(did not know what the password was)
Interestingly, diskpart still does not recognise the USB pen.

The first time I used USBWriter to create the second on the USB pen,
should I have prepared the USB pen or should it have been o'kay to simply use USBWriter to overwrite the original image?
maybe when I booted from the USB pen the first time for the second image
perhaps I did not wait long enough before selecting the USB pen from which to boot.
(clearly one is typing blind at this point)
Maybe I was too keen at that point.

Many thanks for discovering the HP format tool

Mike.

waited a while and pressed enterk,

At 18:02 17/07/2014, you wrote:
Hello Mike.

This is very very weird to say the least. can you download and try the following tool for me? instructions are below.

first, download and save the HP format tool from:

http://iqbal.me.uk/HPUSBFW.EXE <http://iqbal.me.uk/HPUSBFW.EXE>

Run the file once its been saved. select your drive that you'd like to format, and then select your file system. check the quick format box and click start. this should reset your pen drive and recreate a large partition as it was before. if you receive an error to say the drive could not be formatted, unplug your drive then plug it back in again. windows at that point should prompt you to format it, showing the correct capacity. click format and that should solve the issue. then, you can try writing the arch image again if you wish. please let me know if this works.

Mo.

On 17/07/2014 17:41, M F Mason wrote:
Hello Mo,

windows does detect my pen drive.
for instance, with windows explorer I can see the pen drive
and from its properties I can see that it thinks it has a capacity of about
31MB.
I realise that it must contain more than that because as you said in an earlier note
much is hidden from Windows.

So, windows can see the drive but diskpart cannot.
Many thanks,

Mike.
At 16:26 17/07/2014, you wrote:
hi mike.

this sounds like a problem with your pen drive. does windows show any sign of detecting it when you plug it in? could you try a different USB port perhaps or a different pen? could you try the pen in a different computer and see if its detected there?

very best wishes,

Mo.

On 17/07/2014 14:29, M F Mason wrote:
Hello Mo,
The ISO I downloaded has a size of about 608MB.
Unfortunately, when I use
diskpart
list disk
command
my USB pen with the Image for talking Arch
does not appear to be detected.
Only my hard disk is recognised.

Many thanks,

Mike.

At 20:56 16/07/2014, you wrote:
Hi mike.

Hmm, that's quite worrying. I need to try it on a machine that supports USB booting at this end. Can you see the partial partition on the drive? Also i am wondering if its worth double checking to see if it boots when its burned to a cd? The only other thing i can think of is that the download was corrupted. I think the final file size is around 609 MB. Let me know how you get on, i will try and test at my end tomorrow.

All the best,

Mo.

M F Mason <mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <mailto:mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    Hello Mo,

        I have used USBWriter to put the new image on to a USB pen apparently

        with no problems..

        Unfortunately, when I attempt to boot from the USB pen I am not

        getting any feedback.

        I am waiting to get some sighted help to see what is happening on

        the

        screen.

        Many thanks,

        Mike.

        At 20:22 16/07/2014, you wrote:

Hello Everyone. Its been rather quiet on here to say the least. Has anyone apart from Rill had a chance to test the new image? the next stage is going to be compiling a list of packages or functions that people would like to see from a live rescue CD version of linux, and documenting the various programs chosen for a specific task. but of course, a li st isn't a list without people's feedback/comments, so please keep your feedback coming. thanks for reading, Mo.