[vi-tech-testers] Re: anyone know where the espeakup/speakup config file is?

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 08:58:17 +0100

sorry if some of you receive duplicate emails from me today. my connection is playing up and GMail is taking an age to send messages for some reason. many thanks for the info mike, i really appreciate it will give that a shot.

Mo.

On 17/07/2014 00:29, Mike Ray wrote:
Mo,

There is no speakup config file.  Look in:

/sys/accessibility/speakup

And you will find a bunch of files and a 'soft' directory.  It is the
'soft' directory that stores most of the synth settings when using espeak.

The difficult thing is I think the contents of this tree get initialised
at boot.

You need something called speakupconf, which is a chunk of Python with
which you can do this:

speakupconf save

Which will create a .speakup in your home directory.  This is a tree
which matches the structure of /sys/accessibility/speakup/*

And then:

speakupconf load

Will load your settings back to the global settings when you run it.

I put this in my .bashrc:

[ -d ~/.speakup ] && speakupconf load

That tests whether the tree ~/.speakup exists, and if it does, copies
back your settings.

If you are root, speakupconf save will create:

/etc/speakup/*

There is no config file for espeakup.

You may be able to influence it by tweaking the espeakup.service file.

Mike

On 16/07/2014 23:31, Rill wrote:
Mo, try man speakupconf. I don't have the specific answer to your
specific question.
Rill

Mobeen Iqbal wrote:
Hello Everyone.

Does anyone happen to know where the file responsible for the default
speakup configuration rate, pitch etc is stored in case people want
to change it for their custom build of the image? or are these
options governed by the espeakup default config file? any
clarification would be very much appreciated.

thanks for reading,

Mo.