[vi-tech-testers] Re: My experiences so far

  • From: Mobeen Iqbal <mobeeniqbal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 19:07:55 +0100

Hello Mike.

Many thanks for your very detailed message! i haven't had a chance yet to test bootable USB functionality, mainly because i'd need sighted help to set USB in my boot priorities. however, if you'd like to try it i'd first recommend you test it with Live Linux USB creator found at the link below. it should be fully accessible and allow you to browse to your iso. please ensure you format your hard drive to fat32 before the writing of the image. the link is:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/download

let us know how you get on!

Mo.

On 26/05/2014 14:40, M F Mason wrote:
Hello Mo,

Introduction

I have been experimenting with my old thinkpad T42 Windows XP pro system.
This system had a built-in CD/DVD drive which no longer seems to work.
Rather than trying to replace the internal drive I purchased a
USB CD/DVD external drive.
My first mistake was to plug this external drive
into a USB port on a USB hub.
When I booted my system, the external drive appeared to be ignored.
My next idea was to plug the external drive into a USB port on the machine itself - ignoring the USB hub.

1. I simply pressed the power-up button on my machine and waited.
2. I heard some external disk drive activity eventually followed by a beep
from sighted assistance
at this point, on the screen we see:

Arch Linux

there then appears a box of choices to which you apparently can tab to make a selection
screen goes blank or freezes when I try to tab or cursor
the choices are:

boot arch linux

(this is the default)

boot existing OS

run men tees 86

(not sure I have correctly identified that choice)

hardware information

reboot

power off

and at the bottom of the screen it says
press tab to edit options

pressing tab or cursor keys has no effect.
(I think the screen goes blank and nothing appears to happen - must check this when I get an opportunity)

pressing enter however, causes
boot arch linux
(the default)

I hear more disk activity

then I hear a welcome message as follows:

thanks for using the talking arch live system.
press control+c to skip this message
and use the first available sound card for speech output.

you are hearing this message because multiple sound cards were detected on your computer.
To help you choose the card you want to speak
a beep will be played on each card
starting with the first available
giving you ten seconds to press the enter key to select it.
If all cards have beeped but no selection is made, the first card will be chosen automatically.

Please make your selection.

I then hear a beep from the first sound card
I hear nothing having made a selection by pressing enter.
eventually I press enter and hear what I think to be
root@archiso

Curiously
Even when I disconnect the USB speaker from my computer and
in Windows, go to
start
settings
control panel
sounds and audio devices
find the audio tab
and check that there is only one sound card on my system,
I still get this welcome message telling me that multiple sound cards have been detected.
However, there is only one beep.

note on the numeric keypad

It appears that:

pressing numpad-insert with 1
reduce speech volume

pressing numpad-insert with 2
increase speech volume

pressing numpad-insert with 3
decrease speech pitch

pressing numpad-insert with 4
increase speech pitch

pressing numpad-insert with 5
decrease speech rate

pressing numpad-insert with 6
increase speech rate

pressing numpad-7
speak previous line
pressing numpad-8
speak current line
pressing numpad-9
speak next line

Query

since I have been using a CD/DVD drive connected to a USB port, I thought it might be worth trying to create a bootable USB stick from the ISO image.
Any suggestions as to how I might achieve this would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Mike.