[vi-tech-testers] Re: Let clone zilla testing commence!

  • From: M F Mason <mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2014 19:59:24 +0100

Hello Mo,

on the basis that no question is stupid, here goes:

I have been looking at the guide and my queries are as follows:

When you say:
Start the computer and press your up arrow key as soon as you've pressed the on button.
do you mean
keep pressing and releasing until you hear a beep
or do you mean
hold down the up arrow until you hear a beep?
orwill either work?

You say:
next, we're asked what we want to back up. an entire disk, or a specific partition. for this guide, its strongly recommended that you choose to backup an entire disk, especially where windows is concerned. this yields the most reliable restore results if you're storing your failed system as it doesn't skip any part of the disk being backed up. select the save disk option and press enter.

Each of my systems has a hidden partition
the purpose of which is to restore my system to its factory state.
This makes me nervous about backing up and then erasing everything from the hard disk.
Should I be nervous here?
What is likely to happen if I just delete and restore the active partition?

Having set the restore, in motion you say:
press capslock and enter to mute speech.
Why would I want to mute speech during the restore?
What am I missing?
when the restore completes, will the system automatically attempt to boot up into Windows?
(assuming, of course that I have removed the CD?)

Hope this does not make me too stupid!!!

Many thanks,

Mike.

At 12:33 20/05/2014, you wrote:
Hello Everyone.

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who's expressed an interest in testing my guide for how to use clone zilla. you'll find all the information you need below. if people would also like to have a chat via voice, i do have a ventrilo server that we can use if people are interested. there are clients for most operating systems and because its accessible and push to talk, there's noone talking over each other. the guide for clonezilla was written with inexperienced users in mind, so please persevere with it i know most of you are advanced users. also, feel free to ask any questions on list if something's unclear, no matter your level of experience no question is stupid.

download link for the iso image:

http://iqbal.me.uk/TalkingArch-2014.05.02-dual.iso

please be sure to save the iso image to your computer as opposed to clicking on run.

link to the text guide:

http://iqbal.me.uk/clonezilla_guide.txt

to save a local copy of this to your computer, please use the save as option in your browsers file menu. all constructive comments/feedback welcome!

Good luck!

all the best,

Mo.