[vi-tech-testers] Re: Bootable CDs

  • From: M F Mason <mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-tech-testers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 20:27:23 +0100

Hello Mo,

When I insert the CD into the drive
and use Windows explorer to have a look at it
at the top level I can see that:
there are four folders as follows:
ARCH
EFI
ISOLINUX
LOADER

from the properties of the drive I can see that:
the used space is 589MB

Would you like me to dig a bit deeper into any of the folders listed or look at anything else?

Many thanks,

Mike.

At 19:33 23/05/2014, you wrote:
Hi mike.

No problem at all, no need to apologise. When you put the cd in your drive, is there anything on there? If so, what files do you have? You don't have to list them all here just afew.

All the best,

Mo.

M F Mason <mfmason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello Mo,

I'm afraid that I am going to have to ask some stupid questions

regarding bootable CDs.

I have attempted to burn a CD on my netbook using some basic version

of Nero which was pre-installed.

I was under the impression that the machine on which I wish to

install from the CD image gives priority to

installing from removable devices over the hard drive.

Unfortunately this does not seem to be happening.

So, either my impression was wrong or perhaps my CD is not bootable.

So I have to display my ignorance here and ask the question

Is there any way other than trying to boot from a cd I have burned,

that I can be sure that the CD is bootable?

is there something I should have done in the burn process or is

everything that is needed contained in the .iso image?

Many thanks,

Mike.