[vi-kindle] Re: screen locking after 30 minutes of listening to a book?

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2020 06:01:25 -0700

Interesting, glad to hear that.

-----Original Message----- From: Barbie Stahl
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 3:21 PM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Re: screen locking after 30 minutes of listening to a book?

But you can actually do this. As long as you do the correct continuous reading gesture. You can either let the screen lock on its own after a preset amount of time or you can lock it yourself and it will continue reading until you press the power button and the locked screen comes up.

On Aug 25, 2020, at 8:49 AM, Russ Kiehne <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

It's to bad you can't lock the screen and have the fire tablet continue to read like I do on my ipad mini. You would get much better battery life.

-----Original Message----- From: Barbie Stahl
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2020 2:40 PM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

For me anyway, the two finger swipe gesture starts continuous reading, but it is not as fluid as the reading is with the three finger swipe. voiceview reads more punctuation and does not pronounce words as well with the two finger swipe. For instance, if a word is split by a line or a page break, voiceview will break up the word. It does not do this with the three finger swipe.
Also, if the screen locks or you lock the screen, voiceview will stop reading.
In contrast, with the three finger swipe, voiceview reads smoothly from page to page and continues even after the tablet screen is locked.
Note you need to do the three finger swipe with your fingers very close together. Start from the upper part but not the very top of the page and swipe down with the fingers close together. Sometimes you have to do it a couple of times before the reading will start. This is the method I prefer to read books.

On Aug 24, 2020, at 8:55 AM, Timothy Emmons <temmons9@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Seeing this, I'm curious about just one thing. What is the differencein the two finger and three finger swipedown to do a continuous read and which is better. Just curious. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 23, 2020, at 8:22 PM, Barbie Stahl <barbiedoll779@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Are you talking about a kindle ebook?
How do you start it reading? Do you do the two or three finger swipe down to start it reading the book? Or are you using the l gesture?
For me, I use the finger swipe down gesture and it starts continuous reading and it continues even after the screen locks.
You could also try changing the screen lock setting. See if there's a never lock unless you physically push the power button. That would prevent the fire from locking and thereby stopping reading until you physically press the power button to lock the screen.

On Aug 23, 2020, at 7:22 PM, Melissa Tucker <melissatucker4@xxxxxxx> wrote:

how can I get the kindle to continuing to read after 30 minutes? It won’t read after 30 minutes. using 7th gen and I believe it’s a 2018 model with latest update which was put out sometime in August.