[vi-kindle] Re: kindle access

  • From: kb7uengene <kb7uengene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:48:07 -0600

Okay, I just learned something I didn't know before about the iPod touch line
of products and it's pricing.  I thought the iPod touches started at $299 and
was only available as a fifth-generation product.  Well, it turns out that
Apple is still selling the fourth-generation iPod touches, which start at $199.
 That means that you getting 16 GB of memory, which is four times the amount of
memory of the Kindle 3/keyboard, and you're getting a whole lot more that you
can do with the device in general including: better web access through a much
superior web browser, better text-to-speech and a better screen reader with
VoiceOver, it truly pocket-size device which will travel anywhere you go,
better battery life with the TTS turned on, and so on, for $60 more than you
would pay for the Kindle 3/keyboard.  So I still believe that Amazon providing
accessibility support for the Kindle for iOS app, Kindle for PC app, and Kindle
for Mac app, is the way to go for Kindle users In the blind community.  Like a
said before, it doesn't matter what the device is your reading from, what
matters, is having access to the content you want and being able to do the
things you want to do you want to do with the content.  The current pricing for
the iPod touch line of products on Apple's website is:
4G iPod touch 16 gig $199,
4G iPod touch 32 gig $249,
5G iPod touch 32 gig $299,
5G iPod touch 64 gig $399. As I said before, you're more likely to get Amazon's
help on making the Kindle apps accessible then you are getting Amazon to make
their third-generation Kindle 3/keyboard E-ink e-reader accessible.  The apps
are fluid in nature the hardware isn't.

On Dec 14, 2012, at 5:58 PM, Rick Alfaro <rick.alfaro@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Sandy, I also feel Amazon does a great job in all other areas.  It is almost
like the Kindle division of the company marches to a different beat completely.
 Their web site is very accessible as are their IOS shopping and Instant video
apps.  My impression is that whoever is in charge of the Kindle division hasn't
much of a clue when it comes to accessibility.  It's just odd that everything
amazon works so well except for everything Kindle related.

I don't work for them either but I am a Prime member and love their customer
service when it comes to shopping of any kind.  Their online shopping
experience including returns are next to none in my opinion.

Personally, I think the Kindle guy whoever that might be needs the boot.  JMO.

Best,

Rick alfaro