[vi-kindle] Re: in the market for a kindle

  • From: Craig Werner <craig_werner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 13:40:49 -0400

Here is the Amazon link that mentions software updates being available via a wireless connection. It also includes a link to the download instructions. Oddly enough, the toggle Voice Guide keyboard shortcut is mentioned but not the toggle text-to-speech shortcut. It appears the latest firmware update is Version 3.3.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_navbox_top_kindlelg?nodeId=200529700

Craig

On 8/8/2012 1:08 PM, Russ Kiehne wrote:
I got the impression from reading the manual that updates use 3G.  I
find nothing in the manual on how to do a manual update of the
firmware.  It does state in the manual you do need wi-fi for downloading
books from Audible.

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Werner
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 9:53 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Re: in the market for a kindle

Russ, updates to the Kindle Keyboard software are not delivered via 3G,
so you'll need Wi-fi for that.  Alternatively, you can download the
updates to your computer and transfer them to the Kindle via the
provided USB cable.

Craig

On 8/8/2012 11:12 AM, Russ Kiehne wrote:
I can give it a try.  I take it, I don't need the wi-fi unless I plan on
downloading books from Audible?

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Emmons
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:10 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

You might want to get some sighted help not sure, but once it's in, it's
there. Wish I could help more with that, but you can enter the letters,
and hit the symbol key and hold it while using the top row of keys for
your numbers. You may be able to get it in that way. Hope that helps
wish I could do more.
On Aug 8, 2012, at 9:51 AM, Russ Kiehne wrote:

My password is a combination of letters ane numbers.

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Emmons
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2012 6:42 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If your wifi is a simple password, like mine was a string of numbers,
it was easy enough to hold the symbol key down and it turned the top
row into numbers as I did that and I was able to enter in the sring of
numbers that way without sighted help. It doesn't talk you through
every step but you are able to get connected with little to no help at
all on that one, as long as it's not a complicated password thing.
Hope that helps.
On Aug 8, 2012, at 7:37 AM, Russ Kiehne wrote:

MessageLet me ask this, can I setup the wi-fi on my own?

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Emmons
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2012 11:32 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It doesn't matter, about the ads you're not going to be able to see
those or interact with those, I may end up getting the ad free one if
mine ever dies, just cecause I don't want that at the bottom of my
home screen but it won't bother you, the ads are unintrusive. Thanks
and hope this helps.

On Aug 7, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Gery Gaubert wrote:

Not sure which to get.  I know the keyboard is the model.  Do I want
wifi or 3g and does it matter if I get the one with the adds on it?

Gery D. Gaubert

Assistant, Information Technology Administrator
St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office
office (985) 783-0208
mobile 504-329-9439
ggaubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This e-mail and any attachments thereto are intended only for the use
by the addressee(s) named herein and contain propriety/confidential
information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify me by telephone (985-783-0208) and permanently
delete/destroy the original and any copy of any e-mail and any
printout thereof.