[vi-kindle] Voice View - turning on and off

  • From: "Donald L. Roberts" <donald.roberts99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 19:46:50 -0800

I just purchased the Amazon Fire 10, 32 gig with Alexa.  Three years ago, I bought the original Fire 7 tablet with adds.  If you bought the unit without adds, I think it cost $10 more.

At any rate, this new tablet is great in many ways.  But I had to have sighted assistance to get it set up and registered. Perhaps some folks could figure it out, but I certainly couldn't.

First of all, I attempted to turn on Voice View by holding two fingers of my right hand spread out on the screen while simultaneously holding in the power button for four seconds with the index finger of my left hand.  Absolutely no go.  No verbal feedback whatsoever.  I then called Aira to see what was on the screen.  I didn't get much info there either though the service rep was pleasant and courteous but couldn't see enough on the screen to continue very long.  Furthermore, I didn't want to pay more than a dollar a minute just to get this thing going.  So today an acquaintance who knows little about computers came over.  Between the two of us, we got it going although we couldn't turn on Voice View but got the rest going.  I then guided her to settings and accessibility after which we found Voice View and it is now up and running.

I didn't mean to ramble but just wanted to ask whether the command to toggle Voice View on and off had changed.  I later called Amazon's help desk and was told that the command was now press the power button five times.  If this is now the case, must the user first turn on Voice View from settings after which the five presses of the power button toggles Voice View on and off?

Thanks for any feedback.

Don Roberts