[vi-kindle] Unexpected Behavior of "Search" Function in Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin

  • From: Craig Werner <craig_werner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 11:11:38 -0400

Greetings to the list.

I have become quite fond of the Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin software, which allows users with screen readers to rread books even if they don't have their Kindles with them. One of its benefits is the "Search" function, allowing one to search for a text string and have all occurrences of that string available for selection. This morning, though, I hit an unexpected problem. While reading the Table of Contents for _Frommer's New Mexico_, I decided to read the sixth chapter of the text. I pressed the "Search" hotkey, "Control-F" and entered "Chapter 6" into the edit box. The results list pointed to passages in which the author refers the reader to sections in Chapter Six, but the start of the chapter itself was not flagged. When my wife took a look at the Table of Contents, she noticed that each chapter number was followed by a colon. Sure enough: when I entered the string "Chapter 6: followed by a colon, I got the result I desired. It appears that the software's search engine is doing a whole word search. However, since punctuation is not spoken by the Nuance speech engine, and since there appears to be no way of toggling it on, the blind user might well not know of the colon or other punctuation mark after a chapter number and might fall victim to the same confusion that befell me. There is a hint that the search is a whole=-word one since when one types "Control-F," one hears the message "type a word." However, this text is not specific enough to rule out the possibility that entering a part of a word would not produce a desired result.

I am going to email Amazon.com about this behavior. I'll report back when I receive a response.

Craig