[vi-kindle] Re: State Department cancels large Kindle contract

  • From: Craig Werner <craig_werner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 18:50:31 -0400

Many of us on this list have tried to put the best possible spin on the Kindle accessibility issue. No doubt about it: Amazon has made it possible for a wealth of books to be available quickly. Many of these books have proven invaluable to many users on this list. However, the fact remains that since the Kindle Keyboard came out, I don't believe there has been one single dramatic improvement in the text-to-speech structure. Little things like the keyboard shortcuts, convenient and helpful as they are, are enhancements, not dramatic improvements.

Craig

On 8/18/2012 5:58 PM, Rick Alfaro wrote:
I think this is fantastic.  The only way to get to a company like Amazon is
through its bottom line.  They've continued to ignore the poor accessibility
in all of their readers including the Kindle Keyboard.  Yes, the Keyboard
has some "token" accessibility and we can use that model to an extent but I
don't think there's anyone that would disagree with the fact that it still
has a long way to go in that regard.  This is great news as far as I'm
concerned.

Best,

Rick