[vi-kindle] Re: Questions about new Echo Show 5

  • From: Christopher Gilland <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 10:37:28 -0500

Yeah, I see that now.

So, I'm curious from a blind perspective, how could the Echo Show 5 specifically, not the full sized, but specifically the 5 benefit us over say, the non display models like the 2nd gen, or say the dot 3rd gen, etc.

Looks like Netflix isn't supported, and when I try Youtube, I'm only seeming to be able to get links to videos which are part of Youtube Music. It isn't showing me results at all for just regular every-day videos.

When I called Amazon this morning, the guy swore to me left and right after  spending about 15 minutes getting through the over-see language barrier of him not understanding my question, no matter how I phrased it, that the Show 5 specifically, not just the full sized 8 and 10, but the 5 also could do Youtube video. He even went so far to tell me you do *not* have to use either the Silk or Firefox browser.

Finally, after spending about another 10 minutes with me after that of the initial 10 or so getting him to understand, he told me, well, maybe Voiceview is having issues reading those results. When I assured him no, there are no other results, I had a sighted person from Aira even look and tell me, yeah, good luck explaining Aira to him, I didn't even attempt that one, LOL, he put me on hold for about 5 minutes, so now we're up to about half an hour in the call, he then comes back and says, oh, oops? I didn't know this even though I'm in the Echo teer2 support department, but the Show 5 only does Youtube Music, not regular Youtube. Whether that's true? At this point? I don't honestly know what to believe anymore. Shrugs. He didn't exactly make my experience all the more easy.

He also swore to me that the Echo Show 5 could indeed do Hulu. Well, when I try saying opening Hulu, or show me videos of, X, on Hulu, it tells me Hulu isn't supported on this device.

Don't get me wrong. I love this Show 5 for what it's worth, but it seems to me like honestly? The Show 5 really doesn't have a single benefit over a regular non screen display Echo for the blind individual. Correct me, someone, if I'm wrong.

I'm told after reading more online that really, the show 5 is nothing more than just an echo dot 3rd gen with a glorified digital clock readout, and a camera, which oh, BTW, I hear is only a 1 megapixel. Huh? So... they're basically giving you a device with the main focus being the screen and camera, but they're giving you camera hardware that is probably older than your Grandpa Jones/Arthor Smith from Heehaw? Really? Seems honestly a bit deceiving to me. I'm not trying to bash/bad mouth Amazon. I know good and well that it absolutely certainly sounds that way, but trust me when I say, I'm really honest to god not so. I love their products. Always have, always will. I just think they don't totally seem to get it when I call support.

William, I also got your response on here about calling them if questions aren't being answered. That's exactly why I did so. I'm sorry if I was out of line asking this on list. Your message kind of implied to me that was the case.

Don't worry. going forward, I'll just continue asking them or looking at that page. With all due respect, I'm sorry for posting. I'll just lerk here instead of contributing.. I must a been in the wrong.

Chris.