[vi-kindle] Re: Question/Accessibility in Kindle Fire Tablets

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 07:21:01 -0700

One probllem to start with, Amazon is using Android Ice Cream Sandwich. They should be using Android 4.22 Jellybean.

-----Original Message----- From: David Goldfield
Sent: Saturday, June 01, 2013 4:44 PM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Question/Accessibility in Kindle Fire Tablets

Hello.  With the Kindle Keyboard being discontinued, I paid a visit to
Amazon's Kindle page to take a look at the specs on the Kindle Fire
tablets.  Amazon said that the larger 8.9 inch tablets had voice guide
and explore by touch and they indicated that the smaller sized tablets
would soon possess these capabilities.  Lo and behold, I was a bit
shocked to discover that all Kindle Fire tablets, including the $159.00
Kindle Fire tablet, offer not only text-to-speech but also voice guide
as well as explore by touch. Amazon has made it clear that these
features are only for certain functions, probably no more than what we
got with the Kindle Keyboard.  In other words, at this time you can't
use the Voice Guide feature to browse the App store, use the Silk
browser to access the Web or install and run apps.  However, in theory,
it should be possible to access the menus and get to your books.  I'm
wondering if anybody has had a chance to try out the accessibility
features, such as they are, on the Kindle Fire as I'd like to hear your
impressions.