[vi-kindle] Re: One of my biggest pet peeves with the Kindle Fire

  • From: Christopher Gilland <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2019 01:17:52 -0400

I already stated how. Two finger double tap while the keyboard is up on the screen, then 2 finger double tap again when done.

Chris.

On 03/10/2019 11:54 PM, Kathy Brandt wrote:

Does this dictation work on kindle fire eight? If so, how do you do the magic tap in order to start dictation, since there isn’t a dictation button?

On Mar 10, 2019, at 9:17 PM, Mary Otten <motten53@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:motten53@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

I have seen the fact that dictation exists documented in some voice viewrelated thing recently. I think it was in the most recent update perhaps? But it was kind of vague, because it said on certain devices are under certain circumstances, or somesuch thing. It left me wondering how you’re supposed to know if you have one of those devices except of course just by trying and finding out. And then you’re stuck with having to correct the dictation errors, just like you would be anywhere else. It’s just that I find navigation on iOS smoother than on my Kindle fire. I don’t lose my place so much on iOS when fixing things as I would on the Kindle.

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 10, 2019, at 6:00 PM, Christopher Gilland <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

OK, I don't know if you all knew this, as I've not found it yet documented, though, I admit I've not looked all that thoroughly; I'm sure it is somewhere.

There is! actually a way, when the keyboard is visible, you can do the magic tap, or in other words, 2 finger double tap, which will enable/disable voice dictation. Again, this only happens provided that the keyboard is visible on the screen. Otherwise, it will start/stop media playback, etc, but, again, that's great for typing longer things, but for typing e-mail addresses, passwords, etc, no, I don't want people knowing my amazon password is yellow-blue-purple-pokodotted-dinosaur

Just kidding.

In all seriousness, there are certain things that I either don't want to dictate, or would be tricky to do so. So that's really not a total bulletproof option, in my opinion. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but, that's just it.

Chris.

On 03/10/2019 09:00 PM, Colleen Edwards wrote:
I agree. On the kindle it's harder to type. I like a paired bluetooth keyboard and hope I will like a braille edge.

On the android I prefer the stylus pen. I can also pair a keyboard.

I guess you can use a full keyboard but for mobility I like the smaller size blue tooth. Have not tried that yet.

Colleen Edwards
KI7DRS
Email: ki7drs@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:ki7drs@xxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, Mar 10, 2019, 5:43 PM Christopher Gilland <clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:clgilland07@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    One of the main reasons that I do not really prefer using the
    Kindle
    Fire tablets is because, from what I can tell, there is
    absolutely no
    way to enable typing like you do by default on iOS. I have
    dexterity
    issues which prevent me easily from touch typing. I don't mind
    not being
    able to flick from letter to letter, key to key, but at the
    very least,
    I'd like to see an option like on Samsung Android phones where
    once you
    do find the key on the keyboard, lifting your finger won't do
    anything
    until you double tap. I know it seems like a crapload of people
    in the
    community prefer touch typing, but I'm definitely not one of
    them. Is
    there not a setting that will allow us to do this, or maybe a
    keyboard
    3rd party I could get that will do this very thing?

    I know about getting a bluetooth keyboard, but I'm not carrying
    around
    my whole life's inharitance inheritance with me.

    Chris.