[vi-kindle] Newspapers and Periodicals on the Kindle

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 06:45:29 -0700

Here's an excerpt from:

An Accessibility Review of the Amazon Kindle 3
By Ricky Enger
With contributions from Serotalk Staff

Newspapers and Periodicals
As mentioned above, the Kindle can provide access to thousands of newspapers and magazines, and this is where the device really shines, both for the blind and sighted user. When subscribing to these types of materials, the latest issue will automatically be delivered wirelessly to your Kindle as soon as the content becomes available. As with books, you may choose the periodical you’d like to read by navigating to it from the home screen. Unlike books, however, you have a bit more control when navigating this type of content. When you’ve chosen the periodical you’d like to read, “voice guide” will announce the option to view sections list. Press the center of the 5-way navigation controller to do this. Here, you’ll see a list of sections in the periodical which you can navigate using up or down arrows on the 5-way navigation controller. When you find a section of interest to you, press the right arrow to hear how many articles are in the section, and press the center of the navigation controller to be taken to the list of articles itself. Navigate the articles with the up and down arrows, and press the center button on the article of your choice. Unlike the home screen, where “voice guide” speaks the number of pages that the content list takes up, navigating the article list within a periodical only gives the number of articles in a particular section, but not the number of pages that the list covers. This means that if, for example, you have a section containing 12 articles and you view the list of articles in that section, you may be initially confused because you only see titles for the first two articles in the list. Pressing your page-up and page-down keys will allow you to navigate through the remainder of the articles in the list, but there is no indication of when you have reached the beginning or
end of the list.
Once you’ve opened an article by selecting it with the center button, you’ll need to turn text-to-speech on to begin reading it. Note that text-to-speech preferences for any content you read are not saved, meaning that you will need to enable text to speech for each bit of content you open, each time you open it. As previously described in the section on reading books, it is not possible to scroll through text once text-to-speech has been enabled. In addition, you cannot navigate to and activate any links present in the periodical. To be able to do this, navigation within documents while text-to-speech is on would need to be supported, and the Kindle browser itself would need to be accessible. We very much hope to see both these enhancements in
a future release.
Despite these issues, we found reading periodicals on the Kindle a very pleasant experience. In fact, we found reading this type of material on the Kindle preferable to reading it in the browser. Since the interface for navigating through sections and articles was quite intuitive, and we didn’t have to skip past navigation links or advertisements as we would in a browser, we were able to read periodicals very efficiently with the Kindle. We also liked the ability to clip an article whose text could later be shared with others. We couldn’t clip particular passages since highlighting and selecting is not supported when text-to-speech is on, but clipping the article in its entirety was easy. This is done by selecting and opening the article, and without enabling text-to-speech, pressing the menu button and choosing
“clip article”.