[vi-kindle] More accessibility in Newly announced Kindle Fire Tablets

  • From: David Goldfield <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 13:06:38 -0400

If I am correctly interpreting what I read in Amazon's latest press release, the accessibility features in the new Kindle Fire tablets may well go above and beyond what they've done so far. In the past, accessibility in the Kindle devices was very limited. You could move through your home screen, menus and you could read and pause a book, all using text-to-speech. That's where the accessibility ended. There was no way to access apps, such as Mail. The following is taken from Amazon's press release covering the latest operating system in the new fire.

•Accessibility Tools including Screen Reader, Explore by Touch and Screen Magnifier enable access to the vast majority of Fire OS features. Text-to-Speech for book reading features natural-sounding IVONA voices for the following languages: US, British and Australian English, German, French, Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and French Canadian. Fire OS 3.0 supports standard Android Text-to-Speech APIs, so developers can take advantage of IVONA voices for third-party apps.

My comments: while amazon is not making a written commitment to having accessibility covering all features of the new Fire, this clearly seems to go beyond what they've done so far. I use the Kendra voice from Ivona all of the time with DAISY audio books that I download from bookshare.