[vi-kindle] Re: Kindle for PC question ...

  • From: Craig Werner <craig_werner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:40:13 -0400

Hello, Shoshana.

Amazon will allow you to register more than one computer with a Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin account. Each one has a slightly different name, which is listed in the title bar when you load the application. If I were you, though, just for the sake of housekeeping, I'd deregister the software with Amazon before installing a copy on your present computer.

As far as the Whispernet question is concerned, your computer doesn't have to be connected to Whispernet. When you load Kindle for PC with Accessibility Plugin, it will look in your Kindle account and note the books you have already purchased. If you don't finds them on your home page, check your archived items. If you are having trouble finding the buttons in the application, let us know, and I'm sure I or someone will be glad to help you.

One more thing: I'm not sure that all screen readers work with the application right out of the box. Earlier versions of Window-Eyes, for instance, do not. Fortunately, there is a plugin which allows the Amazon software and Window-Eyes to play nicely, and the latest version of Window-Eyes doesn't even require it.

Craig

On 6/10/2012 4:21 PM, Felinitye wrote:
I first downloaded the Kindle for PC over a year ago, before I bought my Kindle KK ...only to find out I couldn't use it. Well, with one thing and another, I never de-registered it, but I lost it from my HD when I had a computer "incident" and had to re-format, reinstall, and other interesting arcana. However, I now have the link for the PC app with the accessibility plug in, and am seriously thinking of downloading it so that I can move books around, or just put some there to read. My question is: Can I just download and will Amazon treat the new download as the Kindle for PC I've already registered, or must I de-register the Kindle for PC I have, download the new one, and re-register it? Also, although I have a WIFI router that lets me get books for the Kindle via whispernet, my PC isn't connected to it, as far as I know ...so will I need to use the USB cable? Hope this makes sense, and, of course, if no one can figure out what I'm asking, or doesn't know, I will call Kindle CS, who are really awesome about most things.
Shoshana