[vi-kindle] Re: Kindle Keyboard May Be Discontinued

  • From: Kb7uengene <kb7uengene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 01:28:20 -0500

When Amazon announced the Kindle 2 in February of 2009, I think they were only
looking at it as an alternative reading method for those times when a reader
could not visually look at the screen.  Being behind the wheel of a car while
you're in traffic or in the kitchen cooking would be examples of when a reader
wouldn't be able to look at the display to read.  Amazon also owns audible.com,
which provides an auditory reading alternative to reading from a visual
display.  But audible has never been classified as an adaptive alternative to
reading visually.  I suspect over the past four years the publishers and the
authors have mellowed out a little bit after realizing that they're not losing
royalties because people read either visually or by listening, but not both at
the same time.  With all the notetaker and digital talking book users out
there, I think Amazon is missing out by not making the Kindle SDK available to
freedom scientific, Humanware, and Hims, so these companies if they choose to
can add Kindle support to all their various adaptive devices.  The notetakers
with their Braille and QWERTY keyboards, would give a notetaker user all the
same capabilities that a Kindle user would have with the Kindle keyboard if the
Kindle notetaker app supported all the same functionality of the dedicated
hardware ereader.  The addition of a Wi-Fi card would make a notetaker no
different than the Kindle Keyboard with Wi-Fi built-in.  And I have no doubt
that all the notetakers have more horsepower under the hood then any of the
Kindle e-readers do, so I don't know why it couldn't be done. - Gene