[vi-kindle] Re: Fwd: Re: More accessibility in Newly announced KindleFire Tablets

  • From: jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 11:15:52 -0800

I forgot they had been discontinued. Sorry about that.

From: jessica brown <justforlistmessages531@xxxxxxxxx
To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Date sent: Wed, 25 Sep 2013 10:52:27 -0700
Subject: Fwd: [vi-kindle] Re: More accessibility in Newly
announced KindleFire Tablets

Begin forwarded message:

*From:* Anjelina Cruz <anjelinac26@xxxxxxxxx
*Date:* September 25, 2013, 10:43:04 AM PDT
*To:* vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
*Subject:* *[vi-kindle] Re: More accessibility in Newly announced
Kindle
Fire Tablets*
*Reply-To:* vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Are there Kindle devices on the market that are partially
accessible?

On 9/25/13, kb7uengene <kb7uengene@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think if you are looking at tablets, it'll be interesting to
see how

they've approached it in comparison to the iPad.  But in terms of
e-readers,

if you look at just the Kindle 3/keyboard, then yes they have
definitely

outpace themselves.  But when you put it up against the Kindle
for iOS app

and Kindle for PC app, I think Amazon deserves a lot of credit
and a lot of

praise for what they've done in terms of accessibility so far.
Also, keep

in mind that dedicated ereaders with E-Ink displays and tablets
are very

different animals and have very little in common.  Based on the
pictures

I've seen, it is clear that the Kindle HDX line of tablets is
still heavily

skinned over the Android OS, so I would still really lean towards
the iPad

for a tablet.  Because Amazon has iOS apps for the Kindle,
instant video,

and music, there's far less of a reason today to go with a Kindle
tablet

then there was when the first generation Kindle tablet came out.
Sure

you're getting a lot more bang for your buck in terms of hardware
for less

money, but if it's not accessible it's not accessible.  I
seriously hope

they are, because that just means more choices for us in the long
run. -

Gene

On Sep 25, 2013, at 12:06 PM, David Goldfield
<disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx

wrote:

If I am correctly interpreting what I read in Amazon's latest
press release,

the accessibility features in the new Kindle Fire tablets may
well go above

and beyond what they've done so far. In the past, accessibility
in the

Kindle devices was very limited. You could move through your home
screen,

menus and you could read and pause a book, all using
text-to-speech. That's

where the accessibility ended. There was no way to access apps,
such as

Mail. The following is taken from Amazon's press release covering
the latest

operating system in the new fire.

뷒ccessibility Tools including Screen Reader, Explore by Touch
and Screen

Magnifier enable access to the vast majority of Fire OS features.

Text-to-Speech for book reading features natural-sounding IVONA
voices for

the following languages: US, British and Australian English,
German, French,

Italian, Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese and French Canadian. Fire
OS 3.0

supports standard Android Text-to-Speech APIs, so developers can
take

advantage of IVONA voices for third-party apps.

My comments: while amazon is not making a written commitment to
having

accessibility covering all features of the new Fire, this clearly
seems to

go beyond what they've done so far. I use the Kendra voice from
Ivona all of

the time with DAISY audio books that I download from bookshare.

--
Anjelina