[vi-kindle] Re: End of the world as we know it

  • From: kb7uengene <kb7uengene@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 19:09:36 -0500

Does Amazon even have an ereader now that has audio output since the Kindle
3/Keyboard has been discontinued?  Because if they don't, and their current
lineup of products that they're getting ready to release in the fall doesn't
support audio, then you're looking at at least a year out before you have
anything you could use if they're forced to comply with the accessibility
standards set forth by Obama.

Whether people like it or not, the easiest way to approach this is the apps.
The longer people push the hardware thing with these companies more and more
entrenched In their position they are going to get.  You're telling them they
need to change their products not only to make them accessible, but also so
people in the blind community don't have to change in how they do things.  I
hate to disappoint people, but accessibility is the only thing these companies
are currently obligated to provide you.  If a blind student walks into a
college classroom and they hand him or her an iPad mini or a fifth-generation
iPod touch with the Kindle for IOS app on it instead of the $69 Kindle 5, then
hey what's the problem.  You could also give that student a netbook with the
Kindle for PC app on it, which is almost featured for featured identical to the
Kindle 5.

The people who are uncomfortable with the iOS devices touchscreens need to get
comfortable with them because that's is the only way that we are going to end
up with accessible devices In the first place and devices that are updated on
regular basis in the second place.

On Aug 9, 2013, at 4:21 PM, "Larry Lumpkin" <llumpkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not everyone wishes to use or is comfortable with a software-driven solution or
with I phones.  If schools are using kindle hardware to distribute their
textbooks then the hardware needs to be accessible.