[vi-kindle] Re: Any resources available on accessibility of new Kindle units?

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 07:38:41 -0800

I'm surprized that NFB hasn't spoke out on this issue!

-----Original Message----- From: Craig Werner
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 6:33 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Re: Any resources available on accessibility of new Kindle units?

Let me start with echoing David's welcome of Amy, whom we old-timers
revere very much.
Second, thank you, David, for using your accustomed zeal to unearth
helpful pages about the accessibility of the new Kindle products.  I'm
wondering if the relative lack of online material suggests that interest
in and use of Kindles by the visually impaired is declining.  Recently,
it seems to me, users have shifted their interest from actual Kindle
boxes to apps that read Kindle books on devices not solely dedicated to
reading.  This is just an observation, and I'm not going to take sides
in the debate over whether this shift is a good thing.

Craig

On 11/11/2013 9:06 AM, David Goldfield wrote:
Amy,
First, it's great seeing you out here on this list.
So far, I've found precious little in the way of info on the new Kindle
regarding accessibility.

There are a couple of videos at
http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/latest_news/general/demonstrations-of-kindle-fire-accessibility-feaures
Amazon's Getting Started guide has some info on Explore by Touch
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201176770#explore
Here's a slightly more detailed help page covering Screen Reader, Screen
Magnifier, Explore by Touch and info on Braille displays
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=help_search_1-3?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201295560&qid=1384178378&sr=1-3
Finally, Access Talk's latest podcast discusses, among other products,
the new Kindle Fire. I haven't heard it yet but I plan to download it soon.
http://accesstalk.co.uk/podcast-20/

On 11/10/2013 6:49 PM, Amy Ruell wrote:

Subject line says it all.

Thx.