[vi-kindle] Re: Any resources available on accessibility of new Kindle units?

  • From: David Goldfield <disciple1211@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 13:36:55 -0500

Gene,
This is a valid question, and one which I was going to tackle regarding Craig's earlier post. The fact is that a visually impaired consumer who already owns an i-device is not likely to be interested in spending over a hundred dollars on an Amazon tablet with perhaps some accessibility when they can download the free Kindle app to be used with a tablet/phone/ipod with complete accessibility. It's just not much of a contest. If the word ever gets out that Amazon has produced a tablet or even an e-reader with the same amount of accessibility as an iPad, visually impaired consumers will be more likely to purchase Kindle hardware. However, the fact is that Amazon hasn't done very much to package total accessibility into their products and so they have only themselves to blame for the lack of interest among visually impaired consumers. If they continue to add more accessibility into the new Fire tablets, things might turn out differently. I haven't yet heard Buddy's podcast, nor have I had a chance to get my hands on one of these tablets to put them through their paces. I'm hoping that the NFB tech lab will soon write an evaluation. Until we really start hearing that these tablets are accessible, history will continue to repeat itself.

On 11/11/2013 11:31 AM, KB7UEN Gene wrote:
Heres my question to everyone:  If you can do everything the kindle HDX does
with iOS apps, why spend money on hardware/firmware which isn't as accessible
or reliable over the long haul?
Gene

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2013, at 10:23 AM, "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Buddy did a great job on the demo.  It sure would be nice if he posted these as
podcasts on such places as:
Cool Blind TechPodcast
The Blind Geek Zone
Or be a guest on the Accessibleworld show to demo and talk about the Kindle
Fire hdx.

-----Original Message----- From: Lisa Salinger
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2013 7:16 AM
To: vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [vi-kindle] Re: Any resources available on accessibility of new Kindle
units?

Hello Amy,

On the most recent SeroTalk podcast, Buddy Brannan was interviewed regarding
his thoughts on this device. You can download the podcast and view the show
notes at:

http://serotalk.com/2013/11/06/serotalk-podcast-176-a-format-and-a-good-cry/

Also, Buddy did a demo and gave some initial impressions. This link was posted
to his Twitter feed:

http://t.co/17twS3fUog

I hope this is helpful.

Lisa