[vi-kindle] Amazon Kindle Accessibility

  • From: "Russ Kiehne" <russ94577@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-Kindle" <vi-kindle@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 07:58:12 -0800

I thought some of you would be interested in this:

Amazon Kindle Accessibility
The Tech Doctor is pleased to welcome back Lisa Salinger and Allison Hartley to
the podcast.
Both Allison and Lisa recently purchased the Amazon Kindle Keyboard. This is
the only model of the Kindle that is accessible to a blind person.
As Lisa and Allison describe their experiences with the Kindle, it becomes
clear that while we all wish that Amazon would do more to make all Kindles
accessible, the Kindle Keyboard is accessible enough to allow a blind person
to independently operate the Kindle Keyboard to successfully read the extensive
library of Kindle books that have the text to speech flag enabled.
While we do not have any inside information, we don’t know how long the Kindle
Keyboard
will be around as it is not a current model. I was unable to find one at my
local Best Buy but was able to purchase a Kindle Keyboard online directly from
Amazon.
In 2010, Ricky Enger of Serotek did a comprehensive review of the accessible
Kindle.
The information is still accurate. Here is a link to the review.
An Accessibility Review of the Amazon Kindle 3
http://serotalk.com/2010/09/28/an-accessibility-review-of-the-amazon-kindle-3/
Another excellent resource is The Kindle Accessibility Blog
http://www.assist-tech.co.uk/kblog.htm
Finally, Accessible World has published two excellent podcasts on using the Kindle
Keyboard.
http://accessibleworld.org/sites/default/files/tt06-11-12-jane-sheehan-keyboard-kindle.mp3.mp3
http://accessibleworld.org/sites/default/files/tt10-03-11_the_accessible_kindle.mp3
Thanks to Lisa and Allison for sharing their Kindle experiences. I am confident that
you will enjoy this podcast.
http://dr-carter.com/podcasts/20121106.mp3