(VICT) need solution or suggestions

  • From: "Jo Clayson" <joclayson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Oct 2006 15:21:18 -0400

I just got a phone call from Lynn, the woman I've been working with who has
trained her own guide dog. Sierra has been doing very well, but a problem
has arisen recently while they are on a cruise. Lynn's mom, who can see
okay, is also with them.

The problem is that Sierra is not defecating in the box on board ship. She
will urinate there okay. The box is filled with pine pellets (the kind used
for cat litter and also for wood pellet stoves for burning).  Sierra has a
box with pellets at home that she used in preparation for taking a cruise
last year, and she used the box on the last cruise with no problem. She also
used it prior to this cruise.   So far her stool has been normal in both
quantity and consistency.   Twice now, after Lynn spent a lot of time at the
box with her and Sierra didn't defecate, within the next hour or so Sierra
just dropped her stool as they were walking.  Obviously that is not
acceptable for any service or guide dog.

Sierra normally goes soon after her  breakfast, and normally only moves her
bowels once a day.  Lynn has taken her to the box after Sierra ate, played
with her, had her running on some of the ships corridors in hopes the
exercise would stimulate her to go.  Sierra appears to be wanting to avoid
the box after she has urinated, not that she is trying to go and can't.

They do have some ports of call where Sierra can be on land to go, but Lynn
doesn't want Sierra to think she can hold it until they reach land. On this
trip, for the next few days they will be in port daily for a while, but then
they have 5-6 days on ship with no stops.

Any ideas or suggestions? Lynn is going to phone me again Monday evening
after 6 Eastern Time.

Jo