(VICT) e: Yes!

  • From: Dianne B. Phelps <dbphelps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2006 12:00:51 -0700

Karyn,

I have goose bumps sitting here having read your message. I
suppose guide dogs will never cease to amaze me. You definitely
have a keeper in Met and I admire you for your work with him.
Keep enjoying your Travel with Met. Primrose and I are proud of
you both.

Love and hugs,

Dianne and Primrose

Met and I
>worked this area though
>like we were old hats at it- he knew every little place where I
could get
>hung up and managed to keep me from doing so. I was pretty
impressed since
>we had only been in this area one time before. It really gives me
confidence
>that we can try other new things too. Its hard to explain what
this kind of
>freedom feels like when you are deaf-blind. I just love getting
out there
>and feeling like we can take on at least a little part of the
world!
>I wanted to tell you about some real cool stuff he did in going
to and from
>the post office over there. There is this one place where there
was I guess
>a sorta makeshift curb cut made but then just a tiny bit further
there is a
>bona fide curbcut. I would think he would take the first curbcut
he came to
>right- well nope. Met has figured out that awkward curbcuts are
not as easy
>for me with this chair and he does not like taking me on them
unless it's
>our only way. So he chose the latter one. That was really cool in
my opinion
>because boy do I hate makeshift curbcuts.
>Then there is this one place where there is sidewalk going two
ways and the
>sidewalks come together on each end- kinda making it like oval
shaped I
>guess. In between the sidewalks is a large bush of some sort.
Last time we
>were there we went to the Left. The bush was a pain in the neck
to get
>around for the two of us. When he brought me this time he chose
the right
>and it was so much easier to traverse with both my wheelchair and
guide.
>Smile
>Every once in a while he will do things like this that makes me
see how good
>he is at making decisions for what is best for us as a team.
>I have decided one thing though through this work with the
construction- we
>need to figure another signal for alerting to things overhead vs
bumps in
>the ground. I can't have him touch me as that makes him stop our
flow and I
>do not have feeling in my legs anyway. I am sure I will figure
something out
>but it's hard trying to figure out whether his alert is for a
drop off or
>for something that may require a ducked head...
>Also I am curious how you all tell how high the obstacle may be
if for
>instance you have no choice but to go under it- like when they
did the
>caution tape out here to keep vehicles off the parking lot but we
as
>wheelchair pedestrians could duck under. There have been a lot of
laughs
>over a bit of a fiasco that occurred during that... poor Met was
like *I
>told you to duck!* Thankfully that is over and we learned a lot
about our
>abilities as a team and I think we really grew through the
constant
>different approaches we were being forced to take each time we
left our
>apartment for walks, errands, or even just to get the mail.
>We are bushed right now though with everything we did as we went
to the
>outdoor mall a couple cities over too before heading to the
feedstore- a
>necessity since Petco had nothing we needed. I get so tired of
them not
>having Met's needs when they advertise being a Solid Gold
distributer.

>Hope everyone has had a great day!

>Karyn and Met

>--