(VICT) Treat/ *bite* delivery method

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 14:29:52 -0700

As you all know I deal with multiple disabilities which sometimes make the
approach of training I use rather difficult. I drop *bites* all over town I
am sure. Thane has been trained to leave what lands on the ground unless
given the approval but I seldomly approve so that he does not turn into a
ground sniffer/ scoffer. I've tried to think of a better way to handle all
these dropped bites and even the grasp of them to deliver them quicker to
Thane while still being able to control my chair well. In the back of my
mind has always been as well finding a way to re-integrate the mini guide
into the equation. A mini guide is a small electronic device one holds in
their hand that works off of eco-location. It vibrates when I am close to
things giving me a bit more information about the world around me.
Many years ago before I even got my last chair, so its been at least 12
years or so, I had found something called a lap tray at Walgreens. I used it
for a while but not in much consistency. Its a plastic apparatus that was
designed for eating in the car. It has a deep area for a glass and a couple
smaller areas for food and silverware or whatever along with a couple small
tray like areas for regular food to sit such as a hamburger. I never really
used it for eating but more for carrying things. Its much narrower than a
typical *tray* though. Only about 3-4 inches across the flat tray area. Many
times I almost got rid of it, but something kept telling me not to.
Today I decided to try putting his *bites* in the small center rounded
compartment. There was plenty of room for several good handfuls. I thought
it just might provide an easier approach. I brought a bag along with us just
in case it turned out to be more trouble than it was worth, however it was
awesome! I could put anything I might need access to in it actually. It made
delivering the *bites* to Thane not only more consistent due to less
dropping, but more rapid as well. The only drawback I see is it sits right
where he lands when doing his *paws* but since he does not need to do *paws*
while training for guiding me around town, I feel its a real asset.
The way its designed the areas that have room for food, cups etc fit just
perfectly one on each side of my legs and one in the center between them. It
was awesome to not be constantly struggling like I have been.
As we train, he will need these in stores and other areas as well so it is
awesome to have a solution where if I lose the bite it will land somewhere
that I can retrieve it and not leave bites all over store floors because I
can not retrieve them. This goes to show that the solution to a delivery
issue can be found sometimes in the least expected manner.
Just thought I would share.

Karyn and Thane (GDIT, HDIT)
http://www.pawsitively-k9.com
*...no one can stop the dance that has begun to take place*