(VICT) Re: sniffing/gentle leader

  • From: "Karyn and Thane" <bcpaws4me@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Vi-clicker" <vi-clicker-trainers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 13:53:09 -0700

I use the GL with Thane. He is a long dog and being in a power wheelchair I
have definitely needed it to have early warning of shifts in direction. It
prevents rolled on paws Smile
The best way I found was to slowly break them in to the GL or whatever head
halter you choose rather than using it like a collar- donning it and out the
door.
Have some practice at home slowly adjusting to it as you give him food. Once
he builds up, add a short lead, traffic handle so they get used to the feel
of the lead, but don't hold onto it yet. continue the treating. Once
comfortable there, walk around holding the lead- lots of click and treat,
praise.
When I first tried Met years ago it was Oh My! Lets just say I learned a lot
since then. met could literally walk on his hind legs down the street trying
to remove the thing. I'm not talking a step or two either- he mastered being
a two foot walkie LOL
I went back to the limited slip as soon as I could. At that time we could
not just slowly get him used to it. He needed his walks to stay limber and
had just been attacked in the chest and area where his collar rode so the
vet recommended this. Lets just say I added stress to stress. I'm not proud
that I could not see to adjust even in increments before making the walk.
Someone on either this list or bviclickertraining posted a much more superb
introduction to head halters than what I have done here but hopefully this
may be of some help.

Karyn